Wednesday, July 24, 2013

New Idea on Action Research Plan

After several discussion with my principle and peers. I think I am going to look into researching students who are apart of Extra-Curricular Activities vs. students who are not apart Extra-Curricular Activities. I want to look into the students testing scores, classroom grades, and attendance. I want to really focus on the grades and attendance to see how many days the students miss and for what purpose they miss. How many days does the average athlete, band, choir, ROTC student miss vs. the students who are not associated with school activities. How do the absences affect the students, if at all? I want to compare grades as well, due to the fact that the common misconception is that athletes are dumb jocks. Through out my career I have noticed a very different trend. In fact, I have seen that the majority of a school's student body, who are actively participating in extra-curricular activities, are actually at the top of their class academically.  I want to see how accurate that is in the HS level. I am sure there are already studies of some sort out there, I know there are for colleges. But I am looking forward to this due to the fact that I want to be an athletic director someday.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent idea! I have always been an advocate for extra-curricular activities. It helps students not only academically but socially as well. Also most extra-curricular activities require that students maintain a certain GPA in HS so that could be a reason for why students who are involved usually have a higher GPA than students who are not. I am excited to see what you come up with at your school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki I really like your beginnings of your action research plan. I would really love to hear the results of this plan as it pertains to athletes and grades. I am hoping to do something similar by seeing how grades are effected on athletes in a Title 1 IB campus. Our grades since we have changed over to IB have really went down so I want to see what other schools have done to keep their grades up. My goal is like yours one day to be a AD over a district.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. I was not involved in school sponsored activities, but was involved in sports outside of school. My sister was not involved and the our grades were very similar to your preliminary predictions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete