Monday, August 12, 2013

Week 5 - Overview and Reflection of Course


It is evident that there is research constantly going on around us on a daily basis.  The question is: are we using it to our advantage and are we playing an active role in that research?  I have found through this course that in order to take on a problem you must dive in feet first, dive into research that is.  Taking part in action research allows for us as educators to use the knowledge and skill we are constantly encouraging our students to use in order to help them become more successful.  I went into this course thinking it was going to be about research, in the traditional sense.  I imagined being assigned a boring topic, looking up journals, reading, reading, and reading some more. However, my misconceptions were quickly corrected. 
I will admit that I was skeptical at first.  I always considered “bloggers” to be very presumptuous to think that their life was SO important and interesting that others would want to constantly read their witty remarks.  I had not considered its powerful impacts in communication and educational settings.  It is a quick and easy way to share information, ideas and to receive input on ways to improve your own work.  It is much more useful than I anticipated and this course has opened my eyes to it.  I hope I continue to use it in ways that will benefit my Action Research Plan.

3 comments:

  1. Nikki,

    I agree with you about the bloggers I used to feel the same way but it can really have some powerful impacts on communication. I am going to try really hard to keep up with a blog in my classroom this year. I think it will be an important and fun way to interact with my students this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think that blogging will not only help us interact with the students, but will allow parents to see what is going on inside our classroom as well. It has been a crazy 5 weeks and oddly enough our negative views of blogging have evolved into being able to communicate with people we have never even see, but have so much in common with. Good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki,

    Blogs are a great tool, and I'm glad that we were kicked in the butt to make them happen. I feel that using a blog will complement my teaching greatly. I hope that your ARP goes well and that you have a great semester!

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete